Monday, October 19, 2009

Heidi Olson Dist 81 Board Position 3

I wrote the following email to Ms. Olson:

Dear Ms. Olson,

I run a small blog (http://spokaneatheist.blogspot.com/) and was hoping you could spare a moment to answer a few questions. I know there are many important issues this election and the one I'm most curious about is probably not high up on the priority list, but I'm sure there are a few people out there who are curious. I've recently been looking into Laura Carder's position on teaching creation "science" in school and I felt that I should clarify everyone's position on the subject. Do you support the teaching of creation "science" in school and if so for what reasons? Ms. Carder claims that students are being punished for saying "Merry Christmas" and bringing Bibles to school. Are you aware of any instances where this has actually occurred in Spokane? Finally, is there anything you would like to say to voters? Something that I could post to give my readers an overall idea about what you stand for and plan to accomplish if elected to the board?

Thanks you so much for your time.

Respectfully,

Andrew Myers


Here's the response I got back:

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your interest in the current election. I am not aware of specific instances in which the alleged persecution
has occurred in Spokane. I am very concerned about the high drop-out rate in our schools and have some specific
ideas about how to lower the drop-out rate based on programs that have been successful in other districts. I am also interested
in maintaining the strengths of our very individualistic educational culture while balancing, or compensating for, its inherent weaknesses, which are
becoming increasingly apparent. These ideas are explained more completely on my website: HeidiOlsonSpokaneSchools.com
Sincerely,
Heidi Olson


I have to admit that I was a little disappointed over her failing to answer my question about teaching creation "science". Here's her site if you'd like to read a little more about her. Comparing her response to Mr. Bierman I'd say that I'm in the Bierman camp.

I've still yet to hear anything from the Position 4 candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment